Unreliability of Radiometric Dating
Faure (p. 101) suggests that the reliability of the Ar-Ar spectrum test is now in question. It has been suggested that free neutrons could transform Pb-206 first to Pb-207 and then to Pb-208, thus tending to reset the clocks and throw thorium-lead and uranium-lead clocks completely off, even to the point of extinction, the geological time. The fact that C14 is still in the atmosphere shows that the earth recently went through a kind of catastrophe, and this increase is even admitted by some evolutionists. On the surface, radiometric Dating methods appear to give strong support for the statement that life existed on earth for hundreds of millions, even billions of years.
- Here is another way that K-Ar data can be too old: If we assume the earth went through a catastrophe recently, then that could have tectonic plates, and was stirred, whereby lava and argon to escape from the magma.
- We are told that these methods are accurate to a few percent, and that there are many different methods.
- In the atmosphere of the earth, Ar40 99.6% of the total argon..
- This applies also, if the earth is really 4.5 billion years old.
- Of course, these statements are false generalizations.
- 104) checks whether the biotites with excess argon can have a flat spectrum, to detect thereby the excess argon is impossible.
The same goes for extrusive flows on the surface, since argon filtering through the earth and through the lava as it cooled. As time passed, this Ar40 would happen after, in the atmosphere, reducing this effect and making rocks appear younger. 11, also the identical statement in Slusher, 1981, p. In particular, he cited one of his anonymous friends, who claimed that the argon easily diffuses from the minerals (p. Faure (1986, p.
A Radiometric Dating Resource List
Stone Tools From India: Another Blow
By this time, tens of thousands of C14 dates have been published, of tests made by various laboratories around the world. Another one of my students gave a seminar to the lab on dendrochronology of fossil trees and had ample opportunity to analyze the process and to work with Ferguson for a while. Many parent-subsidiary relationships for many of the meteorite, radio metric age of about 4.5 billion years ago. 157). This gives support to an ancient age for the meteorites, on the assumption rates are constant decay. The flatness means that the lava is a cohesive mass, and can still be reached by the hot magma through a continuous path of hot rock. Added can be demonstrated to be atmospheric argon, since the ratio of argon-40 to argon-36 for atmospheric argon is 295.5 (Faure, 1986, p. I don’t mind some hard evidence that there are real agreements between different methods on the geologic column, if someone can do it. While Ferguson was alive to analyze it, he never allowed his original data or the bases for the many suppositions that went into the creation of the chronology. Older dates were found to be very unreliable (CRSQ, 1972, 9:3, p. The leaching can also occur; this involves water in the rock cause the mother and daughter can enter or leave the rock and change the radiometric age. 95), and the amount of argon-36 can be measured.
- Or if the continents split quickly, the observed pattern of dates could be explained by a reduction in the concentration of Ar40 in the water.
- If radiometric Dating is accurate on fossil-bearing rocks, it has an abundance of such agreements between different isochrones on the same systems, and you should be the yield of the conventionally accepted age groups.
- About 11% of K40 decays by electron capture and gamma ray emission to Ar40 and the remaining 89% of K40 decays by B-particle-forming emissions Ca40.
- And it should not be limited to just one or two well-behaved places, but should be as comprehensive as possible.
- If we assume that the axis of rotation or crust of the earth are in motion, for some reason, this could lead to an apparent change in the length of the year.
- There are other dating techniques, such as isochronous and discordia, which avoid the need to estimate the initial daughter product concentrations.
- Thus, the composition of the lava, to change the next, and later minerals can form, the very different composition than the previous.
- Since the whole Atlantic would be sediment covered, it is not likely that at any location in the Atlantic would rise.
This doesn’t mean that it is meaningless or necessarily wrong, just that I don’t base too much. All that says Dalrymple (1991), is that his age, all have been re-calculated with the help of the most accurate values of the constants.. The earth would have been rotating faster more recently, if there is any kind of disaster. This radius measures the kinetic energy, so that the probability of the emission of the corresponding a-particle and also the half-life of the parent nuclide according to the Geiger-Nuttall law. Or could it be that several streams all come from the same well-mixed magma, and the output could be a joint isochron giving the time of the flow. And note that infilling of sediment water, sediment would replace, so only the density difference would be the pressure on the crust. It should therefore be determined how many correlations remain in meteorite dating when only such techniques be applied.